Amber Clore, ASID|NCIDQ
Summer is here and for many, this means it is time to redecorate and prepare our homes for these months! When getting your home ready for summer, the main objective is to clear out the clutter and bring the light and life that the warmer months provide.
So, let’s discuss these 8 interior design tips on how you can capture the look of summer and make your home shine!
1. Keep only what you need: This is the most important tip to consider since summer is about space, light and air, not about clutter. Once you leave only the relevant objects in your room, you can also rearrange the furniture to maximize space. You can start adding other elements that we will suggest on the following tips, but remember to keep it simple.
2. Natural lighting: With longer days, inviting natural light into your property will result in a brighter home! Big windows, strategically placed mirrors, and any opportunity your house has to add natural light into the interior, will help you bring the summer sun into your house. Additionally, rearrange your space to maximize flow, take out items and move items around to allow for the best access to natural light and movement within the space.
3. Vintage accents: If you have furniture or ornaments that you consider old, take the opportunity to explore your creativity! Creating a timeless interior can add a lot of life to your house! Especially if you use nautical themes! After all, what is summer decor without a little sea inspiration?
4. Bring the outside in! Summer is the perfect excuse to garnish your home with flowers and plants because they can bring real life into any interior! Place them near windows, on the top of the coffee table, in the middle of the dining table, and so on… Summer is the perfect season to use flowers because they can flourish in the sun creating a real summer aroma and a beautiful setting.
5. Add light to your nights: If you want to create the best summer night ambience and add an additional touch to your summer nights, you can place lanterns inside and outside. The backyard is a great idea to place these lights. You can find lanterns everywhere, they come in affordable prices and you can customize your designs.
6.Embellishments: Take this season as the perfect opportunity to use cushions, wall hangings, and accessories!
7. Play with colors! Ice cream colors are going to be a huge trend this year! Try to choose your colors based on your favorite ice cream color. Introduce your selection of color on a single wall and use accessories with pastel hued vases, dining chairs and tableware.
8. Pile on pillows: Add pillows with different patterns and textures to add life to your sofa! This will transform your space into a bohemian interior or a cozy welcoming space. It depends on what kind of pillows you put together and the atmosphere you want to create.
BONUS 9. Recycling: Not only it is good for the planet, it’s trendy! Anything from repurposing disposable items to resurrecting forgotten items, recycling and DIY decor are here to stay! Take the risk to paint, create and transform items such as cans, plastic bottles and glass containers. You will be amazed at how these items bring life into your space!
BONUS 10. Bring in summer scents: Our brains are stimulated with colors, smells, and textures, so create a multi-sensory environment that you enjoy. A good way to do this is by adding candles, scents to air conditioning, and oil diffusers. There is nothing better than walking into a fresh smelling home at the end of a hot summer day.
Welcome this new season with these summer decorating ideas to freshen up your home décor. Using these tips, you can design your interior space and discover that it can be transformed into something unique, where you can relax and enjoy all summer long!